Office of Academic Support and Retention

Office Location: Kelley Center
Telephone: (203) 254-4000, ext. 2222

The Office of Academic Support and Retention serves undergraduate students who are undeclared, changing majors and/or schools, or in need of advising to help them make a successful transition to a declared program of study. The Office supports and monitors students’ academic progress, offers tutorial programs and learning support resources, and coordinates with faculty advisors, deans’ offices, and campus resources to assist students in achieving academic success. Using a holistic advising model, the Office helps students meet their academic, personal, and professional goals through comprehensive and integrated academic support services and resources.

The Office of Academic Support and Retention works with students individually and in groups on issues related to exploring majors, academic planning, and academic success. This‌ includes meeting with individual students who are identified as "at risk" through early alerts and mid-term estimates, or who are on academic probation. The Office also meets with transfer students who are exploring their interests and various programs upon arrival at Fairfield. In collaboration with offices such as the Career Planning Center, the Registrar's Office, and departments and schools, the Office is responsible for designing programs to assist students in discerning their academic paths.

In addition, the director provides special services that improve academic success:

  • Improvement of study skills and time management
  • Strategies to improve test taking and reading comprehension
  • Academic advisement
  • Explanation of registration procedures
  • Referral to other offices on campus as necessary

The Office collaborates with the Center for Academic Excellence, the academic deans' offices, and the director of undergraduate academic planning to develop programs for faculty and staff pertaining to exploratory advising and work with students in transition. The Office also develops retention programs in support of the University's enrollment goals and strategic initiatives.

For Students:
For academic support services including advising information, University policies, curricular and co-curricular opportunities, login to your My.Fairfield account and visit the Academic Support & Retention Community.