Dolan School of Business Core
|A. General Education Core Curriculum Requirements||63|
|B. Business Core Requirements||27|
|C. Courses in the Major Field||18|
|D. Business Elective||3|
|E. Free Electives||12|
|Total required credits:||123|
|Total required courses:||41|
The General Education Core
The general education core curriculum provides a truly liberal education, drawing upon five major areas of knowledge. For each of these five areas of competency, business majors select courses as follows:
Area I: Mathematics and Natural Sciences
- Three semesters of mathematics (MA 121 or MA 171, MA 122 or MA 172, and MA 217).
- Two semesters of a natural science.
Area II: History and Social Science
- Two semesters of history. HI 30 is required.
- EC 11 Introduction to Microeconomics
- EC 12 Introduction to Macroeconomics
Area III: Philosophy and Religious Studies
- Two semesters of philosophy. PH 10 is required followed by a 100-level course.
- Two semesters of religious studies. RS 10 is required.
- AE 291 Business Ethics
Area IV: English and Visual and Performing Arts
- EN 11 Composition and Prose Literature
- EN 12 Introduction to Literature and Writing the Research Paper
- One semester of English literature. Course must have a number designation of 100 or greater, not including EN/W courses.
- Two semesters of visual and performing arts. One semester must be in the art history, music history, theatre history, or film history.
Area V: Modern and Classical Languages
- Two semesters (at least at the intermediate level) of any language listed among the offerings of the Department of Modern Languages and Literatures or the Classical Studies Program.
All students must complete one U.S. and one world diversity course from a designated list of courses. The courses may be chosen from the University core, business core, major, or electives.
Business Core Requirements (27 credits)
AC 11 Introduction to Financial Accounting 1
AC 12 Introduction to Managerial Accounting 1
IS 100 Introduction to Information Systems 1
FI 101 Introduction to Finance 2
MG 101 Introduction to Management in Organizations 2
MK 101 Principles of Marketing 2
OM 101 Introduction to Operations Management 2
BU 211 Legal Environment of Business 3
MG 300 Business Strategies in the Global Environment 4
These courses should be completed in the first year.
These courses should be completed in the second year.
This course may not be taken until the junior year.
This course may not be taken until the senior year.
Business major requirements (18 credits)
Descriptions and requirements of each of the six majors are detailed in the respective departmental sections thatfollow. Course descriptions are also included. Courses specific to the international studies/international business major are described under International Studies in the College of Arts and Sciences section of this catalog.
Business Elective (3 credits)
Each of the majors in the Dolan School of Business requires the completion of one business elective course of three credits. This elective course may be taken from any business offering, including an internship, provided all prerequisites are met.
Free Electives (12 credits)
All business students must complete four free electives totaling 12 credits. A free elective is a course chosen by students without any restrictions related to their majors. Students can use the free electives towards a double major or a minor.