MFA in Creative Writing - Admission
New! The prestigious $5,000 MFA Fellowship will be awarded to the most promising writer in each residency applicant pool. To be considered for this one-time tuition-based award, you must have a complete application (including personal statement and writing sample) filed by the following priority deadlines:
Priority Deadline and Notification Dates
For further information or questions, please contact Marianne Gumpper, Director of Graduate Admission.
Admission requirements for the MFA in Creative Writing are based on the following criteria:
- A Completed Application for Graduate Admission Form Apply online. While your application is in progress, you can check to see if your supporting documents, such as transcripts and recommendations, have been received. Please allow 48 hours from the time we receive the documents for them to post to the checklist. Track the status of your application.
- A Non-refundable $60 Application Fee
- Official transcripts from all universities and colleges attended. (All foreign transcripts must be evaluated by an approved evaluating service.)
- Two Recommendation Forms and Letters, one of which must be, preferably, from a current employer or supervisor. The Recommendations are completed online. At the time of application you will need to provide your two Recommender's names and e-mail addresses.
- Interviews. Applicants may be required to participate in an interview as part of the admission process. If required, candidates will be contacted by the program director to schedule an appointment.
- Sample portfolio. Students will submit a sample of their work (20-30 pages of fiction, non-fiction, or screenwriting or 6-8 poems).
- Personal statement. Students should describe why they want to be a writer and emphasize their commitment to their craft. While students in the program can work in more than one genre, they should specify which of the three genres they are applying for in their personal statement.
All application materials should be sent to:
Office of Graduate and Continuing Studies Admission
1073 North Benson Road
Fairfield, CT 06824-5195
Phone: (203) 254-4184
Fax: (203) 254-4073
How to Apply
For the winter residency, please apply for the spring semester.
For the summer residency, please apply for the fall semester.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.
To be considered for financial aid, Fairfield University requires students to complete a FAFSA form. For further information on financial aid, visit the Office of Financial Aid.