MFA in Creative Writing - Admission
Admission requirements for the MFA in Creative Writing are based on the following criteria:
- Completed Application for Graduate Admission form (apply online).
- A Non-refundable $60 Application Fee made payable to Fairfield University (paid by credit card if applying online).
- Sample portfolio. Students will submit a sample of their work (20-30 pages of fiction, non-fiction, or screenwriting or 6-8 poems).
- Two Recommendation Forms and Letters, one of which must be, preferably, from a current employer or supervisor.
- Personal statement. Students should describe why they want to be a writer and emphasize their commitment to their craft. While students in the program can work in more than one genre, they should specify which of the three genres they are applying for in their personal statement.
- Official transcripts verifying completion of a bachelor degree. (All foreign transcripts must be evaluated by an approved evaluating service.)
All application materials should be sent to:
Office of Graduate and Continuing Studies Admission
1073 North Benson Road
Fairfield, CT 06824-5195
Phone: (203) 254-4184
Fax: (203) 254-4073
New! The prestigious $5,000 MFA Fellowship will be awarded to the most promising writer in each residency applicant pool. To be considered for this one-time tuition-based award, you must have a compete application (including personal statement and writing sample) filed by the following priority deadlines:
Priority Deadline Notification Date
October 15/December Residency November 15
April 15 for July Residency May 1
For further information or questions, please contact Marianne Gumpper, Director of Graduate Admission.
How to Apply
For the winter residency, please apply for the spring semester.
For the summer residency, please apply for the fall semester.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.
To be considered for financial aid, Fairfield University requires students to complete a FAFSA form. For further information on financial aid, visit the Office of Financial Aid.