Advisement and Registration
The Faculty of the School of Nursing believes that a strong advisement system is a critical component of a student's educational experience and an integral part of the faculty role. In light of this belief, each student is assigned to one of the School of Nursing full-time faculty members for advisement.
Students are encouraged to use their advisors effectively. Advisors can help students do long-range program planning, pre-register for upcoming semesters, understand the curriculum design and course pre-requisites, and clarify career goals. Students also should meet with their advisors to discuss the practicum/clinical courses; advisors can explain deadlines and procedures related to these courses and can help students complete any applications that may need to be submitted prior to enrolling in them. Students must meet with their advisors early in their last semester of enrollment to be sure all requirements for graduation are in order.
In the graduate program, each track is coordinated by a faculty member who is currently practicing in that specialty. Track coordinators advise students in their specialty and arrange practicum placements.
The following registration policies and procedures apply to all students in the School of Nursing. Students must consult with their advisors to ensure curriculum planning. All faculty are accessible through voice mail and e-mail.
- Students must make an appointment for advisement during posted advisement hours to go over major and core courses and obtain a PIN number.
- Students must obtain a signature from their faculty advisors prior to registering for courses.
- Faculty will sign registration forms only for their own advisees. In an emergency or when the advisor is unavailable for an extended time, students should see the Assistant Dean or Program Director for assistance.
- Students should print out a copy of their degree evaluation from my.Fairfield and bring to your advisement session.
- All professional and health requirements must be met before beginning clinical.
All undergraduate students (sophomore through seniors) will register for major and pre-requisite courses in the School of Nursing, room 118 by lottery number. Students should bring signed registration forms to room 118 the morning of your scheduled registration. Times and days will be posted in my.Fairfield.
Freshman students will register for nursing pre-requisite courses in School of Nursing, room 118 by lottery number and at a separate session with the Dean of Freshman for core courses. Times and days will be posted in my.Fairfield.