The science of physics is concerned with the physical laws that determine the nature and interactions of matter and energy which underlie all physical phenomena in the universe. Physics has always been the fountainhead of fundamental knowledge and remains so today.
Physics is the underlying science for most branches of engineering and technology and has innumerable applications in medicine, industry, and everyday life. Physics is also at the heart of much of today's modern technological development. Many allied disciplines such as chemistry, astronomy, materials science, and geology, have physics as a unifying theme. The disciplines of applied physics and engineering transform theoretical knowledge into practical development and technology which, in turn, serves the welfare of all.
The educational objectives of the Department of Physics at Fairfield are:
- To prepare students for entrance into and successful completion of a graduate education in physics or related fields
- To prepare students for entrance into the technological and non-technical work forces
To accomplish these objectives, you will be:
- Guided to an understanding of physical laws and their applications
- Trained to think logically and develop problem-solving abilities
- Develop experimental skills and become knowledgeable in the use of instrumentation
- Receive instruction in advanced mathematical and analytical techniques and in the use of computers and microprocessors
- Offered a wide array of student activities
The applied component of the physics curriculum focuses on laser technology, digital electronics, electro-optics, and materials science. You'll learn the fundamental physical processes that constitute the basis of modern technology. As a result, physics graduates can:
- Pursue graduate studies in any subfield of physics
- Follow industrial careers in research and development in corporate or industrial environments
- Pursue professional careers in such fields as health, physics, computer science, medicine, biostatistics, architecture, patent/high-tech law, and science teaching
Fairfield is situated in a region that is home to large industries, universities, and research institutions of world renown. Many of them provide internship and research opportunities that can be useful to you for educational and career purposes. The research activities of the faculty afford more opportunities and encouragement to students aspiring to do original work, and this has led to the publication of student research papers in professional journals. Many graduates go on to advanced study. Visit the Physics department news site.