History and Overview of the Graduate School of Education & Allied Professionals
The Graduate School of Education & Allied Professions has earned the reputation of being a model of excellence and innovation within its various professional communities. By engaging in continual internal program assessment, the School is able to create and maintain curricular offerings and clinical field experiences that keep the GSEAP on the leading edge of all of our disciplines.
The history of the School follows:
- In 1950, the first classes in graduate education were offered toward the Master of Arts degree.
- In the mid-1970's the School expanded its mission to include the training of those entering the human services professions.
- In 1981, the name of the School was changed from the Graduate School of Education to the Graduate School of Education and Allied Professions, its current name, to reflect the additional scope of our graduate programs.
The current structure of the School consists of 4 departments within which are housed 17 distinct programs and tracks of study which hold state and national accreditation. Also offered are 5 Advanced Training Certificates.