Offering Master of Arts (M.A.)
The Educational Studies and Teacher Preparation Department offers nationally accredited graduate programs for aspiring middle and high school teachers that are organized around the ideals of reflective inquiry and socially responsible professional practice. The M.A. in Secondary Education with Initial 7-12 Certification programs at Fairfield University prepare candidates with the pedagogical knowledge and skills needed for initial teaching licensure in 1 of 5 secondary subject areas:
- Science (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, or General Science)
- Social Studies/History
- World Languages (French, German, Latin or Spanish)
Across all content areas, the foci of inquiry and action include:
- The socio-cultural and political contexts of education and schooling
- The complexities of teaching and learning
- Teacher work and professional cultures
- Culturally relevant understandings of human growth and development
- Socially responsible uses of technology in schooling and society
Within each program, university faculty, community members, and experienced educators work with aspiring classroom teachers to create and sustain inclusive learning communities that empower adolescents to become engaged students and productive citizens.
We invite you to learn more about the program and its admission requirements, courses, internship opportunities, and faculty. Have more questions? Read our FAQs or contact us. We hope you'll find the program challenges you intellectually and enriches your life.