Consequences of Plagiarism
As incidents of plagiarism increase, more professors on are the alert, and many have powerful detection tools at their fingertips. Learning to avoid plagiarism is paramount to your success.
- Plagiarism violates the University's Honor Code.
- Plagiarism can earn a failing grade, suspension, expulsion, or the rescission of a degree, even after graduation.
- If plagiarism goes undetected, a temporary, unfair advantage over classmates is outweighed by disadvantages (missed opportunities to learn, grow, and think for oneself).
- Plagiarism degrades a university' reputation, and diminishes the value of any degree it offers.
- Legal precedence suggests that plagiarists who decide to sue when caught will succeed in publishing their names as plagiarists, nothing more.