Students of Concern

College can be a very stressful time. For some students, it can be extremely overwhelming to handle the pressures of both academic and personal life. At Fairfield University, we recognize some students will need help as they cope with the demands of college life. The Office of the Dean of Students is an available resource for faculty, students, and parents when dealing with students of concern. Please contact the Office of the Dean of Students at (203) 254-4211 if you are concerned about a student so appropriate referrals can be made.

The Case Management Committee is a group comprised of representatives from the each of the schools and the College, as well as representatives from Students Affairs. The Committee serves as a proactive mechanism to identify and address students of concern.

The Case Management Committee meets every other week to receive and review behavioral concerns of a non-emergency nature that are raised to the Committees' attention by members of the University community. The Committee considers coordinated and appropriate responses in a confidential setting. Examples of student issues that would come to this group include concerns resulting from inappropriate or disturbing comments made in class, worrisome writings, excessive class absences, health issues (e.g., weight loss, headaches, sleep problems, etc.), death of a family member or close friend, substance abuse, behavioral changes, and aggression.

To report a concern about a student to the Case Management Committee, please contact either your respective academic dean's office, or the Office of the Dean of Students at ext. 4211. The Case Management Committee does not address emergencies or instances where an immediate threat is posed. In cases of emergencies or immediate threat, please notify Public Safety at ext. 4090.

Community Threat Assessment

  • Homesickness: Some students, especially during their first year of college, may experience homesickness. This is a normal occurrence and Fairfield University has many resources to help students cope with this feeling. Resident Assistants, First Year Mentors, faculty members, Residence Life Area Coordinators and the Dean of Students Office are all available to help students through this difficult time. If students are feeling anxious or depressed, we recommend they make an appointment with Counseling and Psychological services.

    • The Office of Residence Life: (203) 254-4215
    • Student Programs and Leadership Development: (203) 254-4053

Parents/Guardians should encourage their homesick student to get involved with campus programs and organizations. Calling the Dean of Students Office at (203) 254-4211 is also a good place to begin the process of helping your student overcome the feeling of homesickness.

  • Counseling & Psychological Services is a free, confidential service for full-time undergraduate students. Counseling & Psychological Services provides individual and group psychotherapy by professional psychotherapists to help students navigate adjustment issues, relationship problems, family issues, and emotional distress.
  • Survivors of Sexual Assault: It is estimated that 1 in every 4 women will be experience some form of sexual violence in their lifetime. There are many resources available for survivors of Sexual Assault. If you or someone you know is a victim of sexual violence, please call (203) 254-4090 for guidance or to file a report. A brochure is also available to help you or someone you know through this difficult time.
  • Emergencies: If you need help in dealing with a situation or you believe there may be imminent danger of harm to a student or someone else, please call Public Safety at (203) 254-4090 immediately.