Assistance With Financial Issues

Concerned about the economy? Here are student resources to get the answers you need.

Financial Aid
Outside Scholarships
Work-Study, On and Off-Campus Jobs
Tuition Bills
Commuting to Campus
Internships and Jobs After Graduation
Transferring Out of Fairfield
Affordable Activities


Financial Aid

How will the economy impact the availability of financial aid?
We know some families may need extra financial assistance and Fairfield would like to help as much as possible. If you and your family need additional assistance, we recommend that you refer to our Special Conditions Appeal policy. You can work with your financial aid counselor through the appeal process in order to see if you might qualify for additional financial aid.

What do I need to do about my loans after graduation?
Students start repaying student loans six months after graduation and it is important to start budgeting for that payment. There are certain situations when students can defer making their loan payments if they are not able to. If a student is unable to make a loan payment due to extenuating circumstances, it is important that they contact their lender to discuss payment options rather than choosing not to make payments. Failure to make payments results in loan default, which can be extremely detrimental to a student's credit rating, employment opportunities, and future financial aid eligibility. Students can review their federal loan history and lender contact information. Contact the Office of Financial Aid for more information and assistance with regard to loan repayment.

Outside Scholarships

How can I find outside scholarships?
Fairfield encourages students to apply for outside scholarships to help pay for college. We do not reduce University grant funding when students receive such awards. However, federal (or state) need-based aid may have to be reduced to ensure federal regulations are met. The Office of Financial Aid offers some helpful websites to students for researching scholarship information and opportunities. In addition, the University receives invitations for some scholarship awards or application notices that may be posted on Students 411, on the Office of Financial Aid's Facebook, as well as their scholarship bulletin board in the Kelley Center.

Work-Study, On and Off Campus Jobs

aca_male_lab_03How can I find a job on campus?
Students with federal work-study (FWS) awards will find information on Fairfield's program online, in addition to notifications from the Office of Financial Aid, both through University e-mail and in my.Fairfield. Awards are offered to students who meet financial aid application deadlines and who meet institutional criteria for eligibility. If a student is not offered a work-study award, they can contact the FWS Staff for more information on eligibility. Students can also refer to the FWS Student Handbook.

There are select offices on campus that hire students outside of the federal work-study program. These offices may include the Library, Recreation Complex/Athletics, Quick Center, and dining services. There are also many employers in town that hire Fairfield University students. Students can use the off-campus bus for transportation as needed when inquiring about off-campus employment.

Tuition Bills

I owe an unpaid balance to Fairfield that I'm having difficulty paying, what can I do?
You should refer to the Office of the Bursar's billing & tuition policies. You can also review your bill online, and sign up a parent/guardian to be an authorized user of the e-bill. If you know you are having difficulty making a payment by the payment deadline, it would be best to contact the Bursar's Office immediately by phone (203) 254-4000 ext. 2165, 4191, 2410 or 4102, by e-mail, or in-person at McAuliffe Hall, room 301. The Bursar's Office representatives will be able to assist you with creating a plan for payment. Your outstanding balance will need to be resolved in order to register for classes and to return in the next semester. You may also consider contacting your financial aid counselor to assist with loan and other financing options.

Commuting to Campus

Can I commute to campus?
In order to qualify for commuter status, you must be residing full-time with a parent or guardian and living within 35 miles of campus. Download the form.

Before making this decision, we encourage you to talk to a Residence Life Professional about your options. Unfortunately, once you become a commuter, there's no guarantee we'll have housing available if you decide you want to move back to campus.

If you decide to commute, there may be changes to your Cost of Attendance that may impact your financial aid award. These changes could change your official financial need, so you should meet with a financial aid counselor to learn more before finalizing your decision.

Internships and Jobs After Graduation

uga_recruit3Are companies still hiring interns?
Yes, companies are still hiring interns. The process of securing an internship is similar to securing a full-time position. Positions are becoming more competitive and students cannot wait until the last minute to begin the process. The success, or lack of, is very much dictated by the student's resume, ability to interview, and how many positions need to be filled within an organization. Historically, the students who have had the best results in finding an internship are those that consider all of their options and begin the process early.

Will there really be a job for me after graduation?
While no one can completely predict the future, there will always be a need for employees within organizations. Similar to the internship process, the success, or lack of, is very much dictated by the student's resume, ability to interview, and how many positions need to be filled within an organization. Historically, the students who have had the best results in finding a job are those that consider all of their options and begin the process early. While everyone wants to secure their dream job out of college, students are encouraged to consider positions that will utilize their talents and serve as an eventual springboard to better opportunities within the organization or another. You have to start somewhere!

Transferring Out of Fairfield

I'm thinking of transferring to another school, what do I do?
The first step is to meet with an academic advisor at Fairfield to discuss your educational plans to see how Fairfield could meet your needs. A financial aid counselor can also advise on how Fairfield can assist you, if finances are the reason you are considering transferring. Some students return to Fairfield after a semester or two, so developing an academic plan can smooth the transition.

Affordable Activities

uga_fairfieldtownWhat can I do that doesn't require a lot of money?

  • Free campus shuttle to town
  • Participate in campus club activities
  • FUSA sponsored events tend to be pretty inexpensive
  • Each Residence Hall has money set aside for student programs;
    work with your Area Coordinator to plan something


Who can I talk to about stress?
Counselors in Counseling & Psychological Services are available to assist you. You can review information on their services. In addition, the staff members in Campus Ministry, Student Diversity Programs, and Residence Life are available to assist students. Area Coordinators in Residence Life are offering programs for our students to talk about the economy and what it means to our students.

About Us →

Admission & Aid →

Academics →

Life at Fairfield →

Parents & Families →

Alumni & Friends →

Athletics →