Change of Education Level

If your program of study is coming to an end and you would like to enroll at another academic program at Fairfield University, you must contact the Office of International Students. In order to maintain your F-1 student status, follow the following procedures.


You must:

  • oip_students11gBe admitted to a full-time, degree-seeking academic program at Fairfield University.
  • Maintain your F-1 status.
  • Begin school in the next required term or within 5 months after your I-20 program end date/OPT completion date, whichever is earliest.

Application Procedures

  • Notify the Office of Student Engagement about your plans to change your education level. Keep in mind that once this process begins, it is very hard for you to change your mind and correct your SEVIS profile.
  • Complete a Form I-20 application together with all financial support information and affidavits of support.
  • Receive an I-20 for COL no later than 60 days after your program end date.
  • Report to the Office of International Students no later than 15 days after the beginning of your new program.
  • Receive and sign new Form I-20.

Important Notes and Limitations

  • Remember that if you are on OPT, your OPT will end on the program start date of your new program.
  • The change of academic level, or program, will not be complete until you register with the Office of International Students before 15 days of the program start date.

About Us →

Admission & Aid →

Academics →

Life at Fairfield →

Parents & Families →

Alumni & Friends →

Athletics →