Employment for J-1 Students

On-Campus Employment

As a J-1 international student you are allowed to work on campus. This employment may be required by an assistantship, scholarship or fellowship. You are employable by any office of Fairfield University, faculty, or staff. Keep in mind that you may also seek employment with Sodexho (on-campus dining services), as long as you work on the Fairfield University campus. You may work part-time on campus. Part-time is defined as 20 hours or less.

Some of the places on campus seeking to hire international students are:
Recreation Complex - Ext. 4140
Sodexho - Ext. 2581
Quick Center for the Arts - Ext. 4010
Language Department (Oral Practice Session) 
Library - Ext. 2188
Bookstore - Ext. 4262

Once hired, the office where you will be working needs to give you an Employment Offer Letter. You need to make an appointment at the Office of Student Engagement and present this letter. The Office of International Students will provide you with an On-Campus Work Permit.

Academic Training

Academic training is also an option of employment. This refers to training in the field of your academic program in the United States. Academic training before the completion of your studies is available part-time (20 hrs. or less) while school is in session and full-time during breaks and vacation periods. You may also be eligible for academic training after the completion of your program of study if you have an offer of employment letter. Academic training is limited to 18 months or the time that you were a full-time student, whichever is shorter, minus any previous Academic Training.

You must apply for academic training at the Office of Student Engagement before you start working. Information on application procedures and forms

Other Employment

Forms of employment, other than on-campus work, are also available to J-1 students as defined by their exchange program. If a specific form of employment is within the program description, then you are eligible for that employment without further documentation. Keep in mind that you may only be employable by your sponsor institution or a sponsor's designee. In these cases check with the Office of Student Engagement ts to make sure that you are eligible for employment.

About Us →

Admission & Aid →

Academics →

Life at Fairfield →

Parents & Families →

Alumni & Friends →

Athletics →