Social Security Numbers

oip_students11eSocial Security is a U.S. government agency which is in charge of caring for retirees. It serves as a basic retirement plan. Everyone who is employed in the United States must have a social security number. International students are exempt from Social Security Tax. If this tax is being out of your paycheck, you are eligible for a refund by filing IRS Form 843. If that is the case, contact your payroll office.

In order to obtain a social security number, you must go to the Bridgeport Social Security Office (3885 Main St., Bridgeport, Connecticut) and provide the following:

  • Completed social security number application
  • Your passport, with visa attached to it
  • Your I-94 Card
  • Your Form I-20 or DS-2019
  • Letter of status from the Office of International Students
  • Letter of offer of employment from your employer

Obtaining a social security number is free. Make sure that you get all of your documents back from the social security office. If you have any questions, please contact the Office of International Students.

About Us →

Admission & Aid →

Academics →

Life at Fairfield →

Parents & Families →

Alumni & Friends →

Athletics →