Traveling in the United States
Traveling within the United States is unrestricted. However, it is important for you to keep your documents with you when traveling. Since September 11th, 2001, security has heightened and you might encounter check-points at train stations or airports. Make sure you have your passport, Form I-20 or DS2019, and your Fairfield StagCard. Please notify the Office of International Students if you are planning to travel to distant destinations.

Traveling outside the United States
oip_japanese_gardenIf you are planning on traveling outside the United States there are some things you need to keep in mind in order to make sure that you will be able to reenter the U.S. and resume your studies at Fairfield. Before going abroad you will need to make an appointment at the Office of International Students for advising.

The following documents need to be in order:

  • Passport - valid at least six months into the future from the time you come back into the country
  • Valid U.S. Visa - If you have a single-entry visa or your current visa has expired or you have changed your status while in the U.S., you will need to obtain a new visa at the American Embassy in your place of permanent residence with an I-20 or DS-2019. If you plan to travel to the countries named below you will not need a visa to reenter the country, as long as you are outside the U.S. for no longer than 30 days (exceptions may apply).
    • Mexico
    • Canada
    • Saint Pierre
    • Miquelon
    • The Dominican Republic
    • Haiti
    • Bermuda
    • The Bahamas
    • Barbados
    • Jamaica
    • The Windward and Leeward Islands
    • Trinidad
    • Martinique
    • Other British, French, and Netherlands territory or possessions in or bordering on the Caribbean Sea
  • Current Form I-20 (with proper endorsement by the P/DSO) or Form DS-2019 - The Office of International Students issues Form I-20 for initial admission. This same Office will issue Form DS-2019 for students sponsored by Fairfield University. Those with other sponsors should contact the sponsoring institution for the DS-2019 endorsement.
  • Any past Form I-20's or DS-2019's (formerly referred to as AP-66 forms) that you have held.
  • I-94 Card - White Arrival/Departure Card
  • Proof of Financial Resources - Although it is not always required, you are wise to carry a letter verifying your fellowship, assistantship, or private resources which are covering your expenses as a student.
  • Visa to Enter a Third Country - If you are visiting a country other than your own, you may need a visa from the third country to enter it. For details, contact the embassy or consulate of the country in question.
  • Visits to Canada - For those interested in visiting Canada, please consult the click here.
  • Spouses and Dependents - For the spouse or dependent to join the principal student in the U.S., he/she must present the following to the U.S. Embassy:
    • Form I-20 or DS-2019 in the name of the F-1 or J-1 student
    • Evidence of financial support for the entire family

Useful Travel Links

About Us →

Admission & Aid →

Academics →

Life at Fairfield →

Parents & Families →

Alumni & Friends →

Athletics →