Exchange Students

‌Application Proceduresabout_bell_statue

Financial Documentation

All documents must be:

  • Originals (we recommend you issue all documents in multiples so you can present originals to the Embassy or Consulate if requested)
  • Current (no more than four months old)
  • Written in English
  • Notarized, or officially stamped

Acceptable forms of proof of financial capability:

  • Bank Statement
    • In your name ONLY. If another person's name appears on your bank statement, that person must complete a separate affidavit or submit a notarized statement permitting those funds to be considered as financial support for the student.
  • Proof of Income (any of the following)
    • Employer's salary statement on letterhead stationary with most recent pay stub
    • If self-employed, salary estimate from accountant or attorney with most recent pay stub
    • Income tax returns or receipts with most recent pay stub
    • Pay stubs for last six months
  • Proof of Property
    • Provide photocopies of leases, deeds or rent receipts
    • Please note that proof of property is not sufficient proof on its own. However, it is a good complement to bank statements and/or proof of income.

What is an Affidavit of Support?
An affidavit is a promissory note to the U.S. government that you will provide this student with a specific amount of money from your own financial resources for each semester the student will be enrolled at Fairfield University. You are proving with the attached documentation that you can afford such expenses. This document is a financial commitment to the student, and this commitment should not be broken. Keep in mind that the student will not be able to support the costs through employment in the United States.

  • Complete the form in English. Promise only the amount you are able to give.
  • Sign the affidavit in front of a notary public or the appropriate official.

Important Notes and Limitations

  • As an exchange visitor, you must maintain a minimum insurance coverage while in the United States. The requirements are as follows:
    • Medical benefits of at least $50,000 per accident or illness
    • Repatriation of remains in the amount of $7,500
    • Expenses associated with medical evaluation of the exchange visitor to his/her country in the amount of $10,000
    • A deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness
  • If you have medical insurance from your home country, you must provide proof that the insurance company has an affiliate in the United States, which covers the requirements above. If you are unable to prove this, or fulfill the minimum requirements, you must purchase the insurance plan offered by Fairfield University.

About Us →

Admission & Aid →

Academics →

Life at Fairfield →

Parents & Families →

Alumni & Friends →

Athletics →