Transfer-In Procedures for F-1 Students

Eligibility for Transferhon_studying11

  • You must be in the United States.
  • You must be enrolled or admitted to a SEVIS-approved school or university.
  • You must maintain lawful F-1 status.
  • You must be admitted to a degree-seeking, full-time program at Fairfield University.


  • Notify the international student advisor at your current school that you wish to transfer to Fairfield University.
  • Schedule a "release date" with the international student advisor at your current school. You need to be "released" in order for Fairfield to issue a Form I-20. Please note that if you are completing your program of study, or are finishing OPT, you only have a 60-day period following the completion date to have your F-1 record transferred to us.
  • Complete the Transfer Verification Form‌ and submit it to the Office of International Students.
  • Complete Form I-20 Application Form and submit all required documentation.
  • Visit the Office of International Students at Fairfield, and submit the following:
    • A copy of your unexpired passport
    • A copy of your I-94 Arrival/Departure card (small card stapled to passport)
    • Copies of all previous Forms I-20
    • Copies of F-1 and all other U.S. visas
  • Report to the Office of International Students no later than 15 days after the program start date on your "pending transfer" Form
  • Obtain your new Form I-20 as an active student of Fairfield University.

Important Notes and Limitations

  • Please keep in mind that your "release date" should not be any earlier than the end date of the current term, unless you plan to transfer to Fairfield in the beginning of the semester (while it is still possible to enroll).
  • If you have been "terminated" on SEVIS, you will need to apply for reinstatement from USCIS. Inquire about that process at the Office of Student Engagament.
  • Make sure your plans to transfer to Fairfield are final by the time your "release date" arrives. This will save us all time-consuming procedures. In case that you want to remain at your current institution, contact your international student advisor and ask him/her to cancel your transfer.
  • If you are on OPT, keep in mind that your OPT will end the same day as your "release date."

About Us →

Admission & Aid →

Academics →

Life at Fairfield →

Parents & Families →

Alumni & Friends →

Athletics →