B.S. Cooperative Program in Engineering
In cooperation with Columbia University, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, the University of Connecticut, and Stevens Institute of Technology, Fairfield University provides a five-year engineering program that emphasizes both liberal education and professional preparation. The program yields a Bachelor of Science from Fairfield University and a Bachelor of Science in Engineering from the partner institution where the student completed the engineering curriculum.
The curriculum for the three years of study at Fairfield University is as follows:
|Year 1 - Fall Semester||Credits|
|MA 125||Calculus I||3|
|PS 15||General Physics I||3|
|PS 15L||General Physics I Lab||1|
|EG 31||Fundamentals of Engineering I||3|
|PH 10||Introduction to Philosophy||3|
|EN 11||Composition and Prose Literature||3|
|Year 1 - Spring Semester|
|MA 126||Calculus II||3|
|PS 16||General Physics II||3|
|PS 16L||General Physics II Lab||1|
|EG 32||Fundamentals of Engineering II||3|
|RS 10||Introduction to Religious Studies||3|
|EN 12||Introduction to Literature||3|
|Year 2 - Fall Semester|
|MA 227||Calculus III||3|
|ME 201||Engineering Statics||3|
|ME 206L||Mechanics Lab||1|
|CS 131||Computer Programming I||3|
|EE 213||Introduction to Electric Circuits||3|
|EE 213L||Electric Circuits Lab||1|
|RS||Religious Studies Elective||3|
|Year 2 - Spring Semester|
|MA 228||Calculus IV||3|
|CD 211||Engineering Graphics I||3|
|CH 11||Inorganic Chemistry||3|
|CH 11L||Inorganic Chemistry Lab||1|
|HI 30||Europe & World in Transition||3|
|Year 3 - Fall Semester|
|MA 321||Ordinary Differential Equations||3|
|Year 3 - Spring Semester|
|AE||Applied Ethics Elective||3|
|EL||Social Science Elective||3|
|AH 10||Origins and Transformations in Western Art||3|
- MA 311 Partial Differential Equations is strongly recommended for students in the 3/2 Program.
- Students who intend to major in electrical or computer engineering must take a C++ or Java programming course and CR 245/EE 245 Digital Electronics Design I.
- Students who intend to major in chemical engineering must take CH 12 and CH 12L Organic Chemistry and Organic Chemistry Lab.
- Columbia University requires one semester of economics.
- The University of Connecticut has a foreign language requirement that may be fulfilled at Fairfield or on the UConn campus.
- Students who intend to transfer to Columbia, RPI, or Stevens must also take thermodynamics (ME 241/ PS 241) and, if possible, PS 285 Modern Physics.