Advanced Training Certificates

On This Page

Advanced Training Certificates

Fairfield University's School of Education and Human Development offers three Advanced Training Certificates (ATC) for those who wish to enhance their competencies and update their skills.

Integration of Spirituality and Religion in Counseling

The 4-course Integration of Spirituality and Religion in Counseling program is based on the 14 competencies identified by the Association of Spiritual, Ethical and Religious Values in Counseling, a division of the American Counseling Association.

School-Based Marriage & Family Therapy

The 7-course School-Based Marriage and Family Therapy program will prepare candidates to use their knowledge and training as marriage and family therapists to work within the public school systems in fulfillment of the certification requirements of the State Board of Education. certification.

Substance Abuse Counseling

The 5-course Substance Abuse Counseling program is based on competencies established by the Connecticut Certification Board for Drug and Alcohol Counseling. Completion of these courses is required in order to sit for the certification exam that leads to licensing as a licensed or certified alcohol/drug use counselor.

Please note the following:

Admission Procedure

Please note: Applicants to each program must hold a master's degree in a related discipline.

Those seeking formal admission to an advanced training certificate program must complete the following procedures. 

  1. Apply online and complete the formal application.
  2. Submit a non-refundable application fee.
  3. Submit your official undergraduate and graduate transcripts showing degrees earned.
    • For admission into the Advanced Training Certificate in School-based Marriage & Family Therapy, please provide documentation of your passing scores on the Praxis I, SAT, ACT, or GRE exam. 
  4. Submit a professional resume.

**Please Note: Fingerprinting and background checks may be required for the following programs. Please contact the Dean's office at 203-254-4250 for updated information

  • Advanced Training Certificate in School-based Marriage & Family Therapy

Send all admission documents to:

Fairfield University
Office of Graduate and Continuing Studies Admission
1073 North Benson Road
Fairfield, CT 06824
Questions: (203) 254-4184

Gainful Employment Disclosure

For federally mandated gainful employment disclosure information, please visit

Search Results