On This Page
Your Journey Starts Here
Fairfield University welcomes applications from international students around the world in recognition of the diverse perspective they bring to both the classroom and the greater University community. Our students represent over 40 countries across four continents including China, Nepal, the United Kingdom, Peru, and Mexico to name a few.
An international student is classified as an individual who does not hold U.S. citizenship or U.S. Permanent Residency and needs an F-1 student visa. Please note that Fairfield University cannot supply I-20 documentation needed for the F-1 Visa for international students enrolling in online or low-residency programs like the MFA in creating writing or master's in social work (MSW).
The Office of Student Engagement (Graduate and International Student Life) and Global Fairfield are the main resources for international students at Fairfield University and both offices provide a wealth of services to this community.
The Office of Student Engagement (Graduate and International Student Life) assists all incoming international students with their orientation and transition to Fairfield University and provides support and programming during their program of study.
Global Fairfield provides advising related to the issuance of the Form I-20 which is needed as part of the U.S. visa process for F-1 students and provides immigration advising related to all aspects of maintaining F-1 status while studying in the United States.
Fall Admission: Priority deadline May 1 | Spring Admission: Priority deadline September 1
*Please note that deadlines vary by program. Contact the Office of Graduate Admission at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions regarding your program's application deadline.
How to Apply
Inernational students interested in applying to any of Fairfield University's master's degree programs, must submit the following items at www.fairfield.edu/applynow:
- Completed Online Application
- Non-refundable $65 Application Fee
- Personal Statement: A self-evaluation of the applicant's work experience and career objectives (submitted online)
- Professional Resume: A current resume that includes applicant's employment and education history (submitted online)
- Two Recommendation Forms and Letters: At the time of application, you will need to provide your two recommender's names and email addresses. Each recommender should be a current employer, supervisor, or professor. They will be required to submit their recommendations online.
- Official Test Scores: Additional test scores may be required for specific programs.
- Certified English Translations and Course-by-Course Evaluations: Must be submitted by approved evaluators of all foreign academic records
- Official TOEFL, IELTS or DUOLINGO Test Scores: Scores are required from international students whose native language is not English. For the TOEFL, a minimum of score of 80 (Internet-based), 213 (computer-based), or a minimum score of 550 (paper-based) is recommended. For the IELTS, a minimum score of a 6.5 is required. For DUOLINGO a minimum score of 105 is required. For students applying to the School of Education and Human Development ONLY: A TOEFL composite score of 550 (paper-based), 213 (computer-based), or 84 (Internet-based) with a minimum score of 21 in reading and 23 in writing is required for admission. A score of 7.5 is required if taking the IELTS.
- Copy of Passport
- Financial Documentation: International students must submit copies of bank statements demonstrating funds to cover the one year estimated cost of attendance.
- Affidavit of Financial Support: Must be submitted if funds to cover the cost of attendance are being demonstrated by the applicant’s parents, legal guardians, or sponsors
International Coursework Evaluations
Students must submit official institutional score reports. Fairfield University's ETS code is 3390.
If you are applying for admission to one of our graduate programs and have earned your undergraduate degree outside of the United States, please arrange to submit an evaluation of your coursework for your application file. Our preferred evaluators are World Educations Services, Inc. or Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc., however, we will also accept course-by-course evaluations from any evaluator who is a recognized member of The National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES).
You will need to contact the evaluator directly for an evaluation application. Please request a detailed evaluation (a course-by-course evaluation) in English of your academic records and also request that an official copy of your evaluation be mailed directly to your application file at the following address:
Office of Graduate Admission
Kelley Administrative Center
1073 North Benson Road
Fairfield, CT 06824-5195
Fairfield University will consider official course-by-course evaluations provided by organizations that are recognized NACES (National Association of Credential Evaluation Services) members
World Education Services, Inc.
P.O. Box 745
Old Chelsea Station
New York, NY 10113-0745
P: (212) 966-6311 or toll free 1-800-937-3895
Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc.
P.O. Box 514070
Milwaukee, WI 53202-3470
P: (414) 289-3400
Josef Silny & Associates, Inc.
International Education Consultants
7101 SW 102 Avenue
Miami, FL 33173
SpanTran: The Evaluation Company
450 Seventh Avenue, Suite 804
New York, NY 10123
Please note: If you are applying to the Dolan School of Business, any of your supplemental materials that you could not submit online (i.e., Certificate of Finances and evaluation of coursework) should be sent directly to DSB:
Dolan School of Business
1073 North Benson Road
Fairfield, CT 06824
OPT STEM Extension Program
Science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) fields are essential to U.S. economic competitiveness and growth, and the demand for qualified workers in these fields is higher than ever before.
Under the traditional Optional Practical Training (OPT) program, international students on an F-1 Visa who graduate from colleges and universities in the U.S. are able to remain in the country for up 12 months to gain professional work experience. The OPT STEM Extension Program, however, allows international students who graduate from a designated STEM degree programs to remain in the U.S. for an additional 24 months post-graduation to participate in on-the-job training within high demand STEM fields. Taken in addition to the 12 months that all programs provide, STEM students can apply for 36 months (three years) of OPT, making it possible for them to remain stateside longer and establish their careers while helping meet the nationwide demand for STEM-educated professionals.
Below is a list of Fairfield University’s STEM-designated graduate degree programs that are eligible for the OPT STEM Extension Program.
International Student Spotlight
Computer Software Engineering
"I feel very fortunate to have selected Fairfield University. Not only is the campus community welcoming and friendly, but the professors are inspiring and committed to driving their students to reach their full potential. I enjoy being a part of a reputable institution that promises many opportunities for the future."
— Shreya Karan
Computer Software Engineering
"My experience at Fairfield has provided me with a pool of people and opportunities that have melded me into a better individual. The Jesuit education, as well as the experience I gained by working in the Jesuit Universities Humanitarian Action Network (JUHAN), have made me more self-confident, challenged me to think of people and problems beyond myself and inspired me to be a part of the solution towards a more just world."
— Alvin Jerome
Hua Thong Feng
"Fairfield University is multicultural, open and committed to high quality education. The best thing about being a student here is the number of opportunities that are available because of the University’s reputation and its proximity to New York. I am proud to be a part of the Fairfield community and cannot wait to utilize the knowledge and skills I have learned here."
— Hua Thong Feng
"Finding another home almost 7,500 miles away from my homeland wasn’t easy, but I found one here at Fairfield. The University is amazing in every aspect, from its quality education and beautiful surroundings to its excellent reputation and the values it stands for. The education here has not only prepared me to thrive in my personal and professional life, but it has compelled me to create a brighter tomorrow and lead passionately with others."
— Samyukta Dawadi